Chicken tortilla Soup by Steven Dolby
Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
(Serves 3-4 people)
1 Large/160g red onion (cut in half)
2 Large/644g beefsteak tomatoes (cut in half)
2 Tbsp smoked paprika
2 Tsp ground cumin
1 Guajillo chili
3 Garlic cloves
1/4 Cup cilantro
2 Cups chicken stock
516g Boneless chicken thighs
1/4 Cup Chicken stock (for the fond)
Salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
1/2 Cup cilantro
1 Tbsp plain yogurt
Lemon juice (to taste)
1. In a roasting tray, place onion and tomato. Drizzle olive oil, sprinkle salt, paprika, and cumin. Mix well.
2. In a hot grill, place onion and tomato, followed by guajillo chili and garlic. Cook until soft and nicely charred.
3. Into the blender, transfer all the ingredients, add cilantro and blitz.
4. Into a saucepan, transfer all the blended mixture and pour chicken stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 25-30minutes.
5. Season chicken with salt and drizzle olive oil. In a hot pan, place chicken and cook until done.
6. Remove chicken in pan and set aside to rest for 2-3 minutes.
7. Pour ½ cup chicken stock into the pan, stir to remove the fond and transfer to the soup.
8. Thinly slice chicken and add it to the soup.
For Cilantro Cream:
9. In mortar and pestle, add cilantro and salt. Grind to a paste.
10. Add yogurt and stir well. Add lemon juice and mix well.
11. Serve soup hot garnished with purple corn tortilla chips, red onion, jalapeno, avocado, queso fresco, cilantro cream, and lime juice.
© STEVEN DOLBY