(Serves 2 people)
Saffron (good pinch)
1/4 Cup hot water
6 Cups vegetable Stock
1/2 Medium onion (diced)
50g Fennel (thinly sliced)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 Cup brandy
140g Carnaroli rice
230g Mussels (cleaned and debearded)
130g Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
200g Bay scallops
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1. Soak saffron in hot water for 20 minutes.
2. In a sauce pan heat the stock gently.
3. In a pan, heat olive oil, add onion, fennel and sweat for 5 minutes.
4. Pour brandy and cook until completely absorbed.
5. Add rice and cook for 3-5 minutes.
6. Pour saffron water and a ladle of hot stock to the rice. Stir until the liquid has fully absorbed. Repeat the process until the rice is tender but still firm to the bite.
7. Add mussels, followed by a ladle of stock. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until mussels are fully opened.
8. Add shrimp and scallop. Cook for 2 minutes.
9. Add butter and season to taste.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!
Garnish with Fennel tops
© STEVEN DOLBY