Chicken Cordon Bleu by Steven Dolby
(Serves 2 people)
300g chicken breast skinless and boneless (cut in half)
2 Slices Virginia ham (1 per person)
2 Slices Swiss cheese (1 per person)
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
2 Eggs (whisked)
1 Cup plain bread crumbs
Salt & ground black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set
Medium heat to brown the bread crumbs
350f 20 - 25 minutes
1/2 medium shallot (finely diced)
1 Garlic clove (finely diced)
2 Tsp all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup chicken stock
1/4 Cup dry white wine
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1/2 cup Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley (roughly chopped)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
YOU WILL ALSO NEED....
Toothpicks (3 per person)
1. On chopping board, lay plastic wrap and place chicken in the middle. Fold and gently flatten it out with meat mallet or rolling pin.
2. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
3. Again lay a fresh plastic wrap on the chopping board and lay seasoned chicken in the middle.
4. Place ham and cheese slice on top. Using the plastic roll as shown in the video. Twist to make it nice and tight.
5. Pop it in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6. In a bowl, take flour and season it with salt and pepper. Set aside.
7. Take the chicken out of the refrigerator, remove the plastic and seal it with toothpick.
8. Coat the chicken with flour, shake and remove the excess, wash it with egg and then roll it in bread crumbs. Repeat the steps one more time.
9. In a pan, heat olive oil and sear chicken in it on all sides until golden brown.
10. Place chicken in a 350 degree F oven and cook for 20 minutes.
For Pasta Sauce:
11. Meanwhile, in a pan heat olive oil and sweat shallots for 5 minutes.
12. Add garlic, stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
13. Stir in flour and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
14. Pour stock and white wine. Stir well and reduce it by half.
15. Add cream and give it a good stir. Bring it to a boil and reduce for 1-2 minutes.
16. Add parsley and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
17. When the chicken is rested, slice and remove the toothpicks.
18. Serve chicken hot with pasta sauce and cooked peas.
© STEVEN DOLBY