Rustic Escalope of Beef with a Mediterranean Salad by Steven Dolby
(Serves 2 people)
ESCALOPE OF BEEF
230g Sirloin steak or rump
2 Slices of bacon (cut into thin strips)
Plain flour (enough to coat each side)
2 Eggs (enough to coat each side)
Panko bread crumbs (enough to coat each side)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & ground black pepper
Parmesan cheese (grated)
1 Medium red onion (thinly sliced)
1 Garlic clove (minced)
3-4 Green olives (sliced)
1 Medium tomato (cut into medium wedges)
Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley (small handful)
1 Tsp balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp Olive oil
Arugula (small handful)
Salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
Pickled onions (optional)
For Escalope of Beef:
1. Cut the steak in half and with meat mallet gently thin it down to tenderize.
2. On cutting board, lay bacon strips, place steak on top of bacon and wrap as shown in the video.
3. On a plate take flour and season it with salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and set aside.
5. Coat the steak with flour and remove the excess.
6. Wash it with egg, roll in breadcrumb and repeat the process one more time starting with flour.
7. Place a pan on medium flame and pour olive oil in it. Swirl to coal the pan well.
8. Place steak in pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Remove meat from pan and place it on a cutting board.
9. Sprinkle cheese on top of steak and let it rest.
For Mediterranean Salad:
1. In a large bowl, add onion, garlic, olives, tomato, and parsley.
2. Add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Give it a good stir.
3. Toss in arugula and pickled onion.
4. Serve beef with salad and enjoy!
© STEVEN DOLBY