Gnocchi with Sun-dried Tomato and Almond Pesto by Steven Dolby
60g Sun-dried tomatoes
Purple basil & Sweet basil (good handful)
1 Garlic clove
Salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
1/2 Cup olive oil
Parmigiano-reggiano (to taste)
500g Floury potatoes
145g Italian 00 flour
1/4 Cup parmigiano-reggiano
Sweet basil (chiffonade-small handful)
Salt (good pinch)
1. In mortar and pestle, add almonds and break them lightly.
2. In a pan, add the almonds and toast for 1-2 minutes.
3. For pesto, in food processor, combine sundried tomatoes, toasted almonds, sweet and purple basil, garlic, peperoncini, salt, and pepper. Blitz for 1 minute.
4. Gradually pour olive oil and beat until nice and thick.
5. Add grated cheese, mix well and transfer it to a bowl. Cover and pop it in refrigerator.
6. For gnocchi, in a pot of water add salt and bring it to a boil.
7. Once the water comes to a rapid boil, turn down the flame and drop potatoes in it. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Drain and peel off the skin.
8. On a sheet pan, place the peeled potatoes and pop in oven for 5 minutes to dry.
9. Cut in half and pass it through a potato ricer.
10. Sprinkle flour over the squeezed potatoes. Make a well in the center and pour beaten egg in it.
11. Add cheese, basil, and salt. Gently bring it together.
13. Bring a pot of salted water to a simmer on medium flame and add gnocchi to it. Cook until they starts to float. Drain well.
14. In a pan, heat olive oil, toss gnocchi and cook until light golden brown.
15. Add pesto to the pan and mix well.
16. Garnish with purple basil and grated cheese and enjoy!
© STEVEN DOLBY