Salt Cod by Steven Dolby (Baccalà alla Vesuviana)
Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
(Serves 2 people)
4 Large roma tomatoes (cut into quarters)
3 Tbsp Olive oil (for the tomatoes)
5-6 Sprigs of thyme (for the tomatoes)
11 oz Cod loin (cut in half)
3 Tsp brown sugar
3 Sprigs of thyme
1 Cup kosher salt
1 Garlic clove (sliced)
1/2 Medium onion (roughly diced)
2 Tbsp olive
3 Tsp capers
Ligurian olives (small handful)
1 Cup vegetable stock
Things You Will Need
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
2. On a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil, place thyme and tomatoes. Toss to coat well.
3. Pop the baking sheet in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set the tomatoes aside to cool. Once cooled remove the skin.
4. Into a bowl, place the fish; add brown sugar, thyme, and salt. Mix to coat well. Set aside for 20 minutes (the fish will become salty after 20 minutes).
5. After 20 minutes, rinse fish under cold water and set aside.
6. In a pan, heat olive oil, add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
7. Add onion, capers, olives, and tomatoes.
8. Pour stock, bring to a boil and simmer. Add cod and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Garnish with parsley, drizzle olive oil on top and serve fish hot.
© STEVEN DOLBY