Asian Steak Sandwiches by Steven Dolby
Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
(Sauce serves 5-6 people)
1 stalk lemongrass (roughly chopped)
2 cloves garlic (sliced)
1 Medium onion (roughly chopped)
20g Fresh ginger (sliced)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 Cups chicken stock
1 Tsp fish sauce
1/4 Tsp Chinese hot mustard
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Juice of half a lime
3 Tsp brown sugar
2 Tsp cornstarch
4 Tsp cold water
2-3 Leaves baby bok choy (per person)
Thinly sliced beef (3-4 oz per person)
1/2 Habanero (finely diced)
Soybean sprouts (handful)
For The Sauce
1. In a pan heat olive oil. Add onion, ginger, garlic, lemon grass and salt. Saute for a few minutes and let it sweat.
2. Put the rice vinegar and chicken stock. Stir well. Add the fish sauce, Chinese hot mustard, soy sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. Stir well and cook till the sauce reduces to half.
3. Remove from heat and strain the sauce into a bowl. Discard the rest.
4. In a small bowl mix cornstarch with water till dissolved.
5. Return the sauce into the pan and pour the cornstarch mixture. Place it on medium heat and cook till it thickens to sauce consistency. Turn off the heat and set aside.
To Grill Bok Choy and Ham
6. In a bowl put the bok choy leaves. Drizzle olive oil and salt and mix well.
7. Place the beef slices on a flat surface in a single layer. Sprinkle salt and black pepper to taste, and drizzle olive oil.
8. Heat a grill pan on medium. Place the bok choy leave sand cook till wilted. Transfer into a plate. Repeat this with the beef slices and cook till done. Transfer onto a plate.
9. In a bowl mix habanero pepper and sprouts. Mix well. Set aside.
10. Slice the buns and drizzle olive oil on it. Heat a grill pan and toast them.
For The Sandwich
11. On the bottom slice of the bun spread the sauce. Arrange 3 bok choy leaves followed by the beef slices in layers.
12. Drizzle more sauce on top and sprinkle the green onion, sprout mixture and cilantro. Place the other slice of the bun to make the sandwich.
13. In a serving plate, serve the sandwich with choice of side or as it is or with any beverage of choice.
© STEVEN DOLBY