Pistachio-Bacon Turkey Roulade with Pomegranate Gastrique by Steven Dolby
Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
(Serves 2-3 people)
110g Bacon (sliced)
1/2 Medium onion (diced)
1 Stalk of celery (diced)
1 Carrot (diced)
50g Button mushrooms (sliced)
80g Pistachio nuts (lightly smashed)
2 Garlic cloves (minced)
1 Tsp fresh rosemary (chopped)
150g Crusty bread (cut into small cubes)
3/4 Cup chicken stock
Salt & ground black pepper
26oz/1.625 pound-Boneless Turkey Breast (skin on)
1 Cup Apple cider vinegar
7 Tsp Brown sugar
1 Cup Pomegranate juice
Reduce to about 1/3 cup
2. Place a pan on flame and pour olive oil. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and set aside.
3. In the same pan, pour oil, add onion carrot, and celery. Add a pinch of salt, stir and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add mushroom and cook for 2 minutes. Put the cooked bacon back into the pan. Stir well.
5. Add nuts, garlic, and rosemary. Stir well and cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Stir in spinach, drizzle little bit of olive oil on top and cook until wilted.
7. Into a large bowl, place bread cubes and put the stuffing mixture into it. Add egg and stock. Stir well.
8. Cut along the middle of the breast, about ¾ and open. Place plastic wrap on top and using a rolling pin flatten the meat. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
9. Put stuffing on meat and spread evenly by patting it down. Leave a boarder around the edge. Roll the breast tight and tie with twine to cook evenly.
10. On a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil and place the rolled turkey breast on top. Season with salt and pepper.
11. Pop in oven and bake at 325 degree F for 75 minutes (1 hour 15 minutes)
For Pomegranate Gastrique
12. In a saucepan, combine cider vinegar, brown sugar, and pomegranate juice. Reduce to about ¼ cup. When reduced transfer to a bowl and set aside. Let cool.
13. Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest. Remove the twine and cut into slices.
14. Drizzle gastrique on top and serve hot!
© STEVEN DOLBY