Grilled Prosciutto and Provolone Panini with Tomato Soup from Steve's Suppers
Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
SIMPLE TOMATO SOUP
1 Medium carrot (sliced)
1 Stalk of celery (sliced)
1 Garlic clove (thinly sliced)
1 Medium shallot (sliced)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
1/2 Tsp dried oregano
790g Canned plum tomatoes (high quality)
1 Cup chicken stock
Basil (to taste)
Parmigiano-Reggiano (to taste)
PANINI (per sandwich)
1/2 Medium red onion (sliced)
1 Tsp sugar
Good panini bread
2 Tsp dijon mustard
70g Provolone cheese
For Tomato Soup:
1. In a saucepan, heat olive oil, add carrot, celery, garlic, and shallots. Stir and sweat over low flame.
2. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and continue to sweat until nice and soft.
3. Add tomato and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Into the blender, transfer the mixture and blend well. Pour back into the same saucepan.
5. Add basil and cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning of salt and pepper, bring to a light simmer and set aside.
6. In a pan, heat oil, add onion and salt. Stir and cook until nice and brown. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
7. Spread mustard on the bottom half of bread and top it with caramelized onion, followed by cheese and prosciutto and again cheese slice.
8. Cover with the top half and grill.
9. Garnish soup with grated parmesan and serve with pinini.
© STEVEN DOLBY