Lamb Sausage with Braised Fennel & Mushroom Ragu by Steven Dolby
(Serves 2-3 people)
195g fennel (sliced)
2 Medium shallots (sliced)
1/2 Medium white onion (sliced)
120g Leek (sliced into chunks)
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Garlic cloves
1/2 Tsp fresh thyme
1/2 Tsp fresh rosemary
2 Tsp tomato paste/puree
1/4 Cup dry white wine
2 Cups vegetable stock
1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
70g Shiitake mushrooms
200g Greek Lamb Sausages (On the Bias)
1/2 Tsp sugar
80g Beech mushrooms
Fresh mint (garnish)
Salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
1. Slice fennel, shallots, onion, and cut leek into chunks. Set aside.
2. Place a pan on flame and heat olive oil in it.
3. Add fennel, onion, shallot, leek, and whole garlic cloves. Stir, and cook until it gets a light color.
4. Add rosemary, thyme, and tomato paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Pour white wine, stock, and red wine vinegar. Add mushroom and give it a good stir.
6. Cover the pan and pop it into a 350 degree F oven. Braise for 45-50 minutes.
7. Strain the sauce and reduce by half. Add it back into the pan and stir well.
8. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat.
9. Sprinkle sugar on lemon.
10. On hot grill, place lemon and sausages. Cook until done.
11. While the sausages are cooking, place a pan on flame and add vegetable oil to it.
12. Drop beech mushroom and cook until golden brown.
13. On a serving platter, place cooked sausages and mushroom. Slice sausages on the bias.
14. Ladle braised fennel on top, garnish with mint and caramelized lemon and serve hot.
© STEVEN DOLBY