Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
(Serves 4 people)
125g Plain flour
1/2 Tsp salt
55g Butter, cubed
30ml Cold water
TOMATO & BASIL SAUCE
1/2 Medium onion (diced)
2 Garlic cloves (sliced)
1 Mild red chili (sliced)
425g Tomato sauce
2 Tsp balsamic vinegar
Handful of fresh basil (thinly sliced)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt (to taste)
1 Red bell pepper (sliced)
1/2 Medium onion (sliced)
1 Tsp brown sugar
350g Ground pork
1 Tsp ground fennel seeds
2 Tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Ground black pepper
2 Tsp worcestershire sauce
25g Prosciutto (deli sliced)
For The Pastry Dough
1. In a food processor add the flour, salt and butter. Pulse until the mixture looks like fine bread crumbs. Slowly add the cold water while the processor is running till the mixture comes together.
2. Transfer it onto a floured work surface and using hands knead for 1 minutes or till it forms dough. Wrap it in a plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
For The Sauce
3. In a pan heat oil on medium heat and add the onions, garlic and red chillies. Saute for around 5 minutes or till the onions are translucent.
4. Pour the tomato sauce and balsamic vinegar and stir well till combined. Bring it to boil over medium heat, reduce the heat to low and simmer for around 30 minutes. Once done add the basil and season with salt to taste. Mix well and set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
For The Pork Filling
7. In a skillet heat oil on medium heat and add the onions and red bell pepper along with brown sugar. Saute well and cook for around 20 minutes or till caramelized. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
8. In another bowl add the ground pork, fennel seeds, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, caramelized onions and red bell pepper. Using clean hands mix well till all are well combined.
For the Roll
9. Remove the dough from the fridge and place it on a floured suface. Roll it into a ¼ inch thick rectangle. Cut the edges to make it a perfect rectangle.
10. Sprinkle flour on the parchment lined baking sheet and place this dough rectangle on it. Place the prosciutto slices on it lengthwise on 1 side and top it with the pork filling.
11. Brush the egg white on the other side lengthwise, sprinkle some salt and roll it into a log. Brush the top again with egg white, sprinkle black and white sesame seeds.
12. Bake it in the oven for around 45 minutes or till the pastry turns golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before slicing them.
13. In a serving plate, spread the tomato-basil sauce. Place the sliced rolls on it and serve hot garnished with parsley (if desired).
© STEVEN DOLBY