Grilled Brats With Braised Cabbage and Apples by Steven Dolby
Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
(Serves 2 people)
Quick braised cabbage
1/2 Medium yellow onion (sliced)
2 Garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
1 Tbsp olive oil
300g Napa cabbage (remove the stem and tough core)
1 Tsp caraway seeds
4-5 Sage leaves (chiffonade)
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Ground black pepper (pinch)
Quick mustard dressing
2 Tsp dijon mustard
1 Garlic clove (minced)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp water
3 Tsp sour cream
6 Sage leaves (chiffonade)
Lemon juice (to taste)
Salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
180g Gala apples (cut into wedges)
2 Tsp sugar
Beer bratwursts (cut in half)
Finish with fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
For Braised Cabbage:
1. Into a pan, pour olive oil, add onion and sweat over low flame for 5-6 minutes.
2. Add garlic slices and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Into the pan, place the cabbage leaves, followed by caraway seeds and sage. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour red wine vinegar, cover and cook over low flame for 5-6 minutes.
For Mustard Dressing:
5. Into a jar, combine mustard, minced garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and water. Cover with lid and shake well.
For Sage Cream:
6. In a bowl, add sour cream, sage leaves, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix well and pop into the fridge.
7. Into a pan, add apple wedges, followed by sugar. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until apples are almost tender.
8. Into a hot grill pan, place the brats and cook until done. When cooked leave to rest. Cut in half.
9. Serve Brats over apples along with and braised cabbage, mustard dressing and sage cream.
© STEVEN DOLBY