Chocolate Fondant with Caramel Filling by Steven Dolby
Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
(Serves 3-4 people)
1 Cup granulated sugar
1/4 Cup cold water
1/2 Tsp lemon juice
1/4 Cup milk
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
8 Tbsp unsalted butter
170g Dark chocolate (70 percent cacao)
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
3 Eggs (room temperature)
1/4 Cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp all purpose flour
Melted butter (for ramekins)
Things You Will Need
1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F or 220 degree C.
For Caramel Sauce:
2. Into a pan, combine sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue cooking until dark amber color, swirling the pan time to time.
3. If desired for caramel cage, take pan off the heat, spray the ladle with cooking spray and drizzle criss cross sauce lines over it and let the cage cool.
4. Put pan back on heat, pour milk and stir well.
5. Remove the pan from heat and stir in butter. Add vanilla and transfer the sauce to a bowl. Set aside.
6. Using a bain-marie, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring occasionally. Set aside to slightly cool.
7. In a bowl, combine sugar, egg, and salt. Whisk until thick and pale yellow. Fold in melted chocolate. Add flour and fold in.
8. In a bowl, mix cocoa powder and flour.
9. Grease ramekins with butter. Put the cocoa powder flour mixture into it and tap out the excess.
10. Put 2/3rd or the chocolate mixture into the ramekins; add a tablespoon of caramel sauce, followed by a pinch of salt and cover with the remaining chocolate mix.
11. Shake the ramekins and pop in oven for 16 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
12. Serve with caramel cage and raspberry garnish.
© STEVEN DOLBY