Slow cooked Beef Short Ribs with Pickled onions and Chili Gremolata by Steven Dolby
Click here for Recipe Conversion Charts
(Serves 2-3 people)
4-5 Pieces bone-in beef short ribs
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 Medium onion (sliced)
2 Celery Stalks (sliced)
2 Carrots (sliced)
1/2 Tsp red chili flakes
1 Tbsp plain flour
4 Cups chicken stock
3/4 Cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 Dried bay leaf
6 Black peppercorns
90g Onions (thinly sliced)
2 Garlic cloves (minced)
Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley (good handful, roughly chopped)
1/2 Tsp lemon zest
1 long red chili (finely chopped)
1/4 Cup olive oil
Salt (to taste)
1. Season ribs with salt and pepper.
2. Into a hot pan, pour oil, add the short ribs and brown on each side. When browned transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Into the same pan, add onion, celery, and carrot. Add salt, red chili flakes and sweat for 10 minutes.
4. Add flour, cook for 2 minutes, add short ribs back to the pan and then pour stock. Stir and bring to a light boil.
5. Cover the pan with lid and pop in a 325 degree F or 165 degree C oven for 2 hours 30 minutes.
For Pickled Onions:
6. In a saucepan, combine rice wine vinegar, sugar, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Stir and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
7. Add sliced onion, bring up to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes, remove the peppercorns and bay leaf. Strain the juice and transfer onion to a jar.
For Chili Gremolata:
9. Into a bowl, combine garlic, parsley, lemon zest, chili, olive oil, and salt. Mix well.
10. When ribs are cooked, take them out of the pan and set aside. Strain the gravy and pour in a measuring cup. Let the fat separate.
11. Skim off the fat and reduce the gravy for 10 minutes.
12. After 10 minutes add the short ribs back into the pan with gravy and cook until warmed through.
13. Serve ribs with gravy, pickled onion and gremolata.
You can serve pickled onion on tacos, beef sandwich, wraps, and salads.
© STEVEN DOLBY